My place of work recently moved from about 25 minutes to 2 minutes away from where I live. After a few months of acclimation, here are some helpful observations on living close to work:
1. You have/gain a lot of extra time.
I gained about an hour on each end of my day – even though my commute was only supposed to take 25 minutes, it usually took close to an hour depending on traffic, weather, if I rode the bus, etc. I use one extra hour to sleep and the other to exercise. It’s a beautiful thing.
2. You can go home for lunch / have lunch parties at your house.
‘Nuff said. Anyone up for a lunch party?
3. You save a lot of money on gas and eating out.
Also not much more to say on that one…I don’t know how I was sustaining myself before.
4. You become the office “emergency plan.”
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, “Yes, but you live so close, so you’ll be here, right?” Snow day? No problem. Elisabeth lives nearby, she can walk in. Natural disaster? No worries. Again, she can walk. Zombie Apocalypse? She’s probably safe. We’re all good.
I’ve started to regret telling them where I live.
5. People assume you walk or bike to work.
My response: “You know, you would think that…[trailing off into awkward silence]” (I did bike in once; worst experience EVER.)
6. Your car doesn’t have time to warm up in the winter.
I spend more time letting my car warm up than I do driving in. I feel like that might not be great for my car.
7. It is really hard to be on time/early when you live so close.
There’s this misconception that because you live so close, you can get there immediately. However, I’ve been late more now than I ever was before. (Oops.) I have to build back some time into my morning routine so I get out of the house on time.
8. If you have a wardrobe malfunction, you can go home and change immediately.
I haven’t had to use this one yet, but it just seems like that would be super helpful…you know, in case of emergency.
9. You know all the good restaurants in the area.
This is surprisingly useful knowledge.
10. You get to spend under 5 minutes commuting!!